Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trying Something New

Things have not worked out well for Landon in school. I really thought things were getting better but the last few times I talked to the teacher she said he was falling behind, won't stay in his chair and that something had to be done. The only reason I've kept him in school as long as I have is because of his teacher. She cares about him, she's good with him and she wants to help him. But, I just think he's got to have some one on one time to get caught up. So, last week I took him out of school and will be home schooling him through the rest of Kindergarten and hopefully can get him ready for first grade.

The principle called me this morning and asked if I would be willing to come in for a couple of hours a day and help with him. Of course I said I would. However, when I talked to his teacher today I didn't get the feeling she was okay with that. She said she wasn't sure it would work out. I felt crushed...I didn't expect that. But, I do understand. That is her classroom and I respect that. I will continue to teach him here. She gave me all his workbooks and books...I appreciated that. My only regret is that he won't be with his friends. Today when we went up there they were all so happy to see him. The ones who were in the hall went running into the classroom saying "Landon's back, Landon's back!!"

Last week I started with A and will take one letter a day or more than one day if he needs it until he can write the big and small letter prefectly on his paper, between the lines. He's doing great and has A, B and C perfect. We then work on reading, sight words and math. I give him long breaks between each so he won't get frustrated and because he's just not able to sit still for that long.

We even got the chance to do a little Science. He got this playing Bingo at my niece's birthday party. It was a dinosaur egg made out of dirt and buried inside were dinosaur bones. It came with a little pick to dig with and a little brush to brush the dirt away. He tried to dig it out by himself and did a little but it was hard. So, Kinley and her friend helped him.


When they got all the bones out we put them together.

So, I'll just take this home school thing one day at a time. I know I can help him. I know I can teach him to read and write. I just worry because I don't like him not being around other kids. I'll have to work hard to make sure I get him together with his friends sometimes. I just want to do what is right for Landon. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Vicki, you are an awesome mother and you are doing the right thing for Landon! He is so lucky to have you!

Tammy said...

Vicki, are there any local programs you could utilize for social ineraction? Library story times, museums ect? Even a weekly jaunt to a Mcdonalds with an indoor playground would be helpful! You are doing a great job!