Friday, October 24, 2008

More Landon


We had a meeting yesterday at the school about Landon. It was a committe they have set up that included two teachers, the school counselor and the principle. Other people at the meeting were Jose' and I, Landon's teacher and the social worker assigned to him. The social worker brought a copy of the doctor's report. The school was hoping he would have some guidelines for them to follow in the report but he didn't. The school really wants to help him but this is all so new to them. But, they are trying. The social worker even told me today that she was very impressed with our school and how hard they are working to do right by Landon.

They talked about ways to help him in different situations that are hard for him. They have gotten funding approved to hire a full time aide for him that will stay with him all the time and will even go to the next grade with him. I guess this aide will stay with him until he doesn't need her/him anymore. Another thing they are doing for him is getting him a laptop and some educational games to use at school when he has to be taken out of the classroom. They are also getting him the weighted blanket that I've wanted for him for so long. I've never gotten it because it's so expensive.

I don't like trying to explain to people what Asperger's is. It's hard to explain. There are so many things involved in it and really you have to be around him to see it all. It only took his teacher a few days to pick up on it after he started school. Last night I went on Amazon and ordered three books. I'm hoping after I read them I can get Jose' to read them...even though he hates to read. The books I ordered are...

"Finding Ben: A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger's"

"The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight and Inspiration"

"Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's"


In other news, my job has been cut down to three days a week starting next week. I should be happy about this and about getting to be home two days a week but I'm sad about it. I can't believe how much I enjoy working again and that I never dread going. I love it!! She did say she would call me back every busy season so that's good.

Stephen is in Indiana now with Daddy and Lynn now. He said they are staying in a very nice cabin and it's almost like being on vacation. I hope he's taking pictures. He'll be there for two weeks and then he'll be home for good. He's gotten to see so much since he graduated and has learned a lot. It's been hard on him and on us being away from him but it's been good for him...he's grown up so much.

The kids just got their report cards. Kaylyn had A's, B's and only one C....the best report card she's had in a long time. I am VERY proud of her!! Kinley had only one B and the rest A's :-)....I'm VERY proud of her too. Makes all those nights of homework worth it. We won't talk about Landon's....he's doing the best he can.

I'm looking forward to the weekend :-).

No comments: