Saturday, November 8, 2008

Still not sure

I have no idea what to do and feel like I'm all alone in making a decision. Landon is not doing well in school and instead of things getting better they seem to be getting worse. Last week he had a rough day Monday and when I picked him up his teacher told me he'd said a bad word, a real bad one, to her in class in front of the other kids. It was a word we do not use in our house but I'm sure he heard it on the t.v. on some of the movies Jose' watches. I talked to Landon about it and told him that was a very bad word and not to ever use it again. He sit there a minute and then said "Is shit a bad word too?" He said next time he'll say dang it instead. So, that was Monday. Tuesday I got a call at work around 1:00 from the counselor asking if I could go ahead and come pick Landon up because he'd had another really bad day. He'd spent most of the day in either her office in the time out chair or the principle's office. He had thrown dirt at one kid and kicked another one at recess. Now, I don't condone him kicking or throwing dirt but I wasn't surprised to hear it was a second grade boy that has been picking on him. I've even seen this boy picking on him at the football games. I asked the teacher was she sure he wasn't just fighting back and she said the teachers on duty didn't think so. I wonder.

She asked me was he on any medicine for the cold he's had and I told her yes. She said maybe the medicine was making him irritable and I told her I don't give it to him in the mornings so he won't be tired and she said maybe it's residual from having taken it the night before. I really don't think so. He's on an antibiotic, allergy medicine and Musinex. She asked if I could keep him home until he's done with his medicine. So, that's what I did. I missed work the rest of the week and he missed the next three days of school. Am I going to have to keep him home every time he's on medicine?

So, I'm trying to decide what to do. Do I want to keep sending him to school where he's getting in trouble all the time, making the teacher's jobs hard, not really learning much and where I think his spirit is being broken. Or, do I pull him out now and homeschool him for a while? I know I could do it. I think I could even have him ready for first grade. What I wish is that everyone would stop telling me how wrong that would be to do that to him. How he NEEDS to be in school and how he'll never get use to it if I take him out. He's been in school for TEN weeks and he's not use to it yet. It's not a case of him getting use to it...why can't people understand that? I know they are just trying to help by giving me their oppinion but they don't know Landon and they don't know how hard it is to keep sending him up there.

I need to find out if he will still be able to get OT if he's not in the school system. I don't want to lose any help we are trying to get. I'll call Monday and talk to his social worker to fiind out these things. Landon has been asking me for the past few days if he's going to school and wanting to go so then I wonder, if he was miserable there would he be asking to go back?

I don't know what I'm gonna end up doing but I will probably go ahead and send him Monday and give it one more try. I need time to call and make sure he's not going to lose the help he's getting. But, if I am called one more time or if my instincts keep telling me he shouldn't be there then I will do what I think is right for Landon and try not to hear what everyone is saying.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

You will figure out what is best for him....no one knows what that is as well as you do!!!

Tammy said...

Trust your mothers instinct, it's one of the most powerful things on the planet!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Your a GREAT mother and woman, first off.

The thing is this...my oldest would never get any work done if he had all those kids around him. He is smart and picks up things easily, but that class of kids would do him in.

Not to mention the fact that he only did about a months worth of sit down work for kinder. He was reading and doing simple math at the end of it. He had a hard time focusing. I allowed him to play and taught when he was up to it and it worked. In first grade he took on a whole first grade work load. Now he should be in 4th grade in the curriculum we use, but he is in in mid-third. He understands it all and he has caught up to a point that reading and writing are easy now. This is something that has to happen before they can move on to bigger things. I am blessed that my active child was able to grow and learn at his pace.

I have Remy who is jetting through work and he loves a lot of work!

All children are different. :) That is what makes our mothering of them so darn fun! :)

It wasn't until very recent in our history that children went to school away from their mother before the age of 8! And even then, it wasn't like every 8 year old was carted off to school because of his or her age.

Just be prayerful about this, but know that you are what he needs regardless of where he is schooled. Every great kid has a GREAT mother and father. I know too many kids to know that is the truth!

You know him, he was given to you, and he will continue to blossom under your sweet mothering. :)

People say it is wrong to homeschool because they don't understand it. We have been taught that institutions can do a better job. But we accept that idea without actually looking at the said institution!

HUGS, and I will be reading to see how it all works out.

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Oh Vicki you are a GREAT mother! Just go with your heart!!!!